I am grateful that the deputy leader of the European Parliamentary Labour Party has been able to answer some questions for the blog. He is the second MEP I have interviewed.
- How important is it that young people take an interest in politics?
“It is very important: politics shapes the future even more than the present, so young people will be the most affected of all.”
- Why did you decide to join The Labour Party?
“I joined when I was 18 because I believe in a fairer society and I think that free markets need to be corrected in the public interest to give everybody a fair chance, to help the weakest in society and to protect consumers and the environment.”
- What does your role as Deputy Leader of the European Parliamentary Labour Party involve?
“It means I replace the leader in various meetings when she cannot attend and I am also in charge of EPLP administration, staff matters and finance.”
- Do you think Britain should remain in the EU, and why?
“Yes, for idealistic pragmatic and selfish reasons. See: http://www.richardcorbett.org.uk/what-europe-is-for/”
- Do you have any funny stories from your time in politics?
“Yes! See : http://www.richardcorbett.org.uk/fun/”